Let me start with a disclaimer. I love the University of Kansas and I am very proud of my school. There’s always a small portion of each fan base that ruins it for the rest. That’s what this list is for. Here’s why being a Kansas fan sucks, only sometimes.
- The “woo” during the Rock Chalk chant: Please for the love of God, STOP THE WOO. (It makes the chant much less eerie, people.)
- Kansas State fans: They’re like the little brother who won’t stop annoying us. Kansas fans don’t care about K-State fans. Kansas fans cared about Missouri (not anymore, though, because they left for the SEC).
- Roy Williams: Who needs him? Bill Self for President.
- Football: Yes, Kansas fans know the football team sucks. No, we don’t need people to remind us that our team is terrible. Yes, we live for basketball season.
- Frustration: Sure, Kansas basketball secured the Big 12 title for the past 11 years, but the team has yet to seal a NCAA championship since 2008. C’mon guys.
- Josh Selby: Worst one-and-done in the history of one-and-dones.
- Elitism: It’s a part of the fandom that comes with the (basketball) program. But, Kansas fans have to admit that we hate losing, and we can all be jerks sometimes.
- “What does ‘Rock Chalk’ mean?”: Google it. Thanks.
- The school song: Everyone gets the clap during the song wrong. That’s what traditions night in August is for — go and learn it.
- Aqib Talib: Who wants to be associated with an eye-poker?
- Camping: It’s more of a love/hate relationship. It’s an honor, but if your camping group sucks, basketball season sucks. Trust me, I know.
- Uncertainty: Sometimes the best players on the court in the college setting seem to flop in the NBA. (Where’s Xavier Henry? Cole Aldrich? No one cares about Nick Collison…) Side note: At least, Wiggins is starting to make a name for himself.
- The Jayhawk: It’s a mythical creature and impossible to explain. (But, I love it.)
- Wichita State: Now, these guys are trying to claim the state of Kansas as theirs in basketball. Hmmm…NOPE.
- Lawrence: You never wanna leave because it’s such a wonderful place. Everywhere else pales in comparison.
Like what you read and want some more? Check out other posts from Heather here!